knitting Paradise

I belong to a wonderful knitting and crochet group called

Knitting Paradise.

http://www.knittingparadise.com

I hope you will drop by and check us out. Shirley

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fabric Postcards

There has been a lot of interest lately about fabric postcards. I just found a group of pictures which I used in a class I taught here in Calgary. I thought you might find them interesting.
Most are thread painted and you can see how effective they are. I also have a complete
set of abstract cards I made for Christmas and taught at a local guild.

I Started with a 13" x 19 " sheet of green fabric. The second picture shows the fabrics
that I auditioned for these abstract cards. I started by laying some pointsettas on the fabric the stitched them on the green fabric (with white thread in the bobbin. I proceeded to add more different
Christmas fabrics, lace, and ribbon as shown. Once I had all the different pieces attached to the green fabric, I used 505 or 404 spray and attached the piece to a l3"x 19" piece of
timtex (the heavey web you use for bowls.) I stitched around some of the embellishments to make sure they were well attached. I then placed the timtex and top on top of some
fairly good white or cream fabric (for the backs) using the spray again. ----I cut the piece into 4" x 6" postcards, very carefully. I then stitched around each card with satin stitch, or a fancy stitch. I have a stamp for a post card back, but when I taught this class I used a
archival ink pen to write what was needed on the back. This is a very quick way of making lovely cards. I ended up with 12 post cards - before sewing the last two cards around the edge, I cut them into 2" x 3" cards, finished them with a zig zag, attached a ribbon to one corner and used them as gift tags. I used this method every time I was in an abstract postcard swap, using different fabrics, etc. Here is the top of one set of postcards and gift tags I made for
a friend for her birthday which is before Christmas.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These cards are very very pretty and look like each was done individually. I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial. I will show some more ideas in my next post. Shirley

1 comment:

Material Girl said...

If I remember correctly I took you class on making fabric postcards.. I haven't done any lately, but it was lots of fun making them.