knitting Paradise

I belong to a wonderful knitting and crochet group called

Knitting Paradise.

http://www.knittingparadise.com

I hope you will drop by and check us out. Shirley

Monday, January 19, 2009

Flower garden Wall hanging --Pt. 1








I have decided to put a tutorial on my blog, showing you my steps in making a
"Flower Garden" wall hanging. It will take 2 or three days to finish the center of
the wall hanging. If you decide you want to follow along with this tutorial, you will need a background blue sky (1/4 - 1/3) at the top of the picture -- 1/3 medium green just below the sky - see picture. Note: I put some hills in at the sky line - fussy cutting some varied green fabric - This wall hanging will be rough edged applique and thread painting. I thread painted a few trees along the distant hills - I also appliqued the hills down with a narrow zig zag. As the distance is NOT the focal point in the scene I will not add a lot of different things to this area, although I will add some trees around the little house which will be off in the distance. I am considering adding some water to break the green in front of the hills.
Remember, this is the background so you don't need too much detail. I printed the little house on fabric and painted it with two shades of red so that is will show up well in the piece. I will put more trees, shrubs and possibly flowers around the house and around the lake which I am going to add next.

3 comments:

Tricia, CZT said...

Shirley, nice idea to follow-along with this tutorial.

Color Design Question: I always thought that colors become lighter as they move forward in the landscape.... but I see there is a lighter green background moving towards a darker green foreground.

Or maybe I'm just jumping ahead of the process??

Tricia

Tricia, CZT said...

Also: When you do a landscape project like this, do you sketch it out on paper first? How do you keep your head 'organized' as to color and composition??
Tricia

Shirley said...

Tricia, I know that a lot of artists put the darker fabrics in the distance, but I usually don't. I feel that the closer things get, the brighter, and darker they become as you can see them so much better. I am self taught, and have always taught my classes this way, and they have worked very well.

I personally never know what is going to happen with my landscapes. I lay out the ground fabrics and start far away and move forward. I think it is easier that way and I usually have less trouble with the perspective.

I never draw a picture ahead of time-unless I am doing a specific mountain, or place.

I have been known to change the idea of the scene while I am doing it. I think I will copy your questions to the blog and also my answer. If you sign up for my simple landscape class you will see how I 'build' a scene. Shirley